God, Genius and the Great Composers:
A Look at the Timeless Music of 5 Great Composers
This course explores the phenomenon of creative genius through the lives, the attitudes and the timeless music of 5 great composers: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner.
Beauty and Belief:
Art and Philosophy in Eastern Cultures
Beauty and Belief is an exploration of the connections between art and spirituality in South and East Asia, mainly within Hindu and Buddhist traditions. It investigates the creation and symbolism of religious art and its use in community and private practice. Along the way, the series explores a variety of art forms including ritual objects, paintings, sacred space, poetry, and other media, uncovering the intriguing links between art, ritual, philosophy, and spirituality.
Patricia Campbell, PhD
The Russian Century 1917-2017
Revolutions without End
This course introduces the main events and characters of that remarkable century. It will pay close attention to Russian popular culture and the connection (or lack thereof) between Soviet society (people like you and me) and the Soviet state. In particular, the course questions whether depictions of a totalitarian Soviet police state and a terrorized and brutalized society are helpful when it comes to understanding that remarkable part of the world. Lastly, this course will stress the endurance of a truly remarkable Russian culture over time, one that the mightiest of rulers could not fully control.
Leonard G. Friesen
- Registration for next year's series will begin on April 24.
- Please use the 2018-19 Registration Form (available here on April 24).
- MAIL your form & cheque to the address on the form.
- 'For Love NOT Money'
- Our last session will be on May 1.
- During website construction, the content for the series appears in ETC.
- Links from Gregory for 'For Love NOT Money' are here
- Spring course 'For Love NOT Money' begins March 20. We have 7 spots left so contact us if you'd like to attend. Please, if you are unable to attend let us know.